Tuesday 18 August 2020

Extinct New Zealand Animals

Last week we have been writing about Extinct New Zealand animals. My extinct animal is the laughing owl. I have link the sites that I used to get the facts. I used my own words because if I just copy and paste than you and I would not understand what it means. I found it easy to write about it because the laughing owl (or the Sceloglaux Albifacies) is one of New Zealand's native owl. Also most of my classmates is also doing the laughing owl.

Sceloglaux Albifacies 
(Laughing owl)
13/08/2020
( click these links to go to the site where I went to get the facts. F1, F2, F3, F4, F5 and F6. )
Classification 
I am writing about New Zealand  Extinct animals. The Sceloglaux albifacies (laughing owl) were originally placed in the monotypic genus Sceloglaux.

Description
The laughing owl weighs around 600g. That’s almost as heavy as a basketball. Wow! The Sceloglaux albifacies are about twice the size of a Morepork. You can still see Moreporks now but there is not much in the world I believe.

Habitat
Laughing owl lives in both open country and forested areas. Of course they are nocturnal animals because they’re owls. They roosted in caves or fissures in rock areas.

Diet
The Sceloglaux albifacies eat small-medium sized birds, frogs, bats, lizards, juvenile tuatara and laver. That owl can eat a lot of different small animals. But now they are extinct. Sceloglaux albifacies also eat larger insects.

Threats
Before the Europeans came to New Zealand, the Sceloglaux albifacies happily doing it’s life cycle. But once the Europeans came, they were hunted down. Just for dumb stuff. They killed the laughing owl, stuffed it and put it in museums. Sometimes zoos too.

Dynamic Facts
It is 14-15 in height with a wingspan of 10.4.

By Selina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.